How to locate a landlord gas safety engineer

Do I need a landlord gas safety certificate?

Now is the time to get your motorhome or campervan ready for the 2022 season. The 2021 season was another record breaking season for rentals. Many new owners did not get to hire out their motorhomes because the gas safety engineers were also booked up all season. This is why we recommend you plan ahead for next year and get this done early before the summer rental season. Many people ask us “where can I find a landlord gas safety engineer?

One of the legal requirements to hire out to the public is to get a landlord gas safety certificate. This is required if you have any gas appliances in your camper.

What is a landlord gas safety certificate?

A landlord is anyone who rents out a property they own under a lease or a license that is shorter than seven years. Motorhomes, campervans, and caravans are included in this law. Here is a guide to learn more about it directly from the HSE website.

Here are two links from the gas safe register to explain what a landlord is and the requirements.


Is it the same as the gas certificate I received when I bought it?

Not exactly. If your campervan or motorhome is brand new then the gas certificate you received when you purchased it will cover you for the first year. After that, you will need to get a new landlord gas safety certificate every year.

Is this the same as a habitation check?

Sometimes yes. If you received a full habitation check performed by a landlord gas safety engineer then you have met the annual requirements. The best thing to do is contact the company that performed the inspection and confirm if they are certified. 

Where can I find an engineer?

Here are 3 links to help you find a certified engineer to perform a gas safety check. This will typically cost around £100 per year. The first one is the gas safe register. This is where engineers get the landlord certification. You can search your area to see if there are any near you. They typically will travel to your home. 

(make sure you select ‘choose appliance’ then select LPG and then ‘caravans’ to find a qualified engineer)

landlord gas safety engineer

The 2nd place you can go is the Approved Workshop Scheme. It is a joint enterprise between the NCC (National Caravan Council), The Caravan and Motorhome Club and The Camping and Caravanning Club. Originating on the 1st January 1978, and the only scheme to be supported by all of the major UK manufacturers* , AWS is now the UK’s largest group of independently assessed workshops and is seen as the benchmark for motorhome and touring caravan servicing in the UK.

Third, we at Camptoo have also put together a list of engineers that have been referred to us.
Here you can look at our gas engineer list in our FAQ’s.

If you are interested in hiring out your campervan or motorhome please click here.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes:

<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>